Except of the ravines which saved till the nowadays, the ditches filled with water in a midseason lied through the streets of Odessa. That is why on the crossroads were a lot of municipal and even private bridges. Any solid businessman thought that he should built a bridge in front of his office or shop to make the passage more comfortable for visitors.
Seems that the first large bridge in Odessa was the wooden one which lied through the Karantinnaya ravine. The first mention about it we can found in the book “Odessa, 1794-1894”: “since the ancient times the wooden bridge served for the post for town and the fortress”. We can know more about the time of bridge’s creation from the report of architect Frapolli which he wrote 25/05/1809: “the bridge which builds from the ravine to fortress under my oversight is completely done for now”. Streets has no names in those times, and probably those bridge was the first one large solid bridge in the young city.
The next one was the bridge which was created through the Voennaya ravine.
The third – was the stone bridge on Deribasovskaya street, in front of the Books house. The construction started in February 1811 and was finished in April 1812.
Despite the fact that Deribasivskaya already considered as one of the main streets, the townspeople felt the necessary to build the first bridge across the Voennaya ravine where it was more necessary from a practical point of view. The citizens of Odessa were pragmatic even in those times, same as in nowadays.
Now only three old bridges are saved: Stroganovskiy bridge, Kotsebu bridge and Novikov’s bridge.
Also in Odessa there were at least 11 other bridges which are gone with the time, and now we do not have a lot of information about them. The main goal and destination of them were similar – they were built for trade and transportation through the Porto-Franco zone.
They were not big, but capital bridges with the parapets, and were able to stand under the tracks of those time. Those bridges are stood till the end of 70-th years. Most of them are listed in a city plan from 1867: Olgievskiy at the end of same street; Institutskiy near the Institute for Noble Maidens (later the City transport institute); Luyteranskiy at the end of same lane; Langa at the end of Tiraspolskaya street, Vseh Svyatikh at the end of Novoribnaya street; Prokhorovskiy (Cherepennikova) at the beginning of Prokhorovskaya street, Maliy on the crossroads of Kostetskaya and Bolgarskaya streets, Sennoy near the Starosennaya square and Palena near Kanatnaya street.
It’s strange that there are no Imperatritsa’s bridge and Lanzheonovskiy (Krepostnoy) bridge on this plan. They were mentioned in archive documents and the places they stood – at the beginning of Malofontanskaya road (Frantsuzskiy boulevard) and Lanzheron respectively. This area – from the Imperatritsa’s bridge till the Lanzheron, the part of second line of Porto-Franco zone – vas named an Imperatritsa’s boulevard under the designation of Vorontsov, which he made in February, 3, 1834 year.